Thursday, February 5, 2009

Same Old Same Old

I won't give up hope for the people of Burma but it sure is hard to keep any hope when the world only pays attention once in a while. My posts have become fewer and farther between because now, after educating myself about the situation in Burma for the last almost two years, I just keep reading the same articles over and over. I really hope I get to see something change in Burma during my lifetime but when I go back and read old news articles from the last 20 years, the situation is much the same. In my last post I naively thought something may have been happening there with the removal of the barricades from around Aun San Suu Kyi's house. I should have known better.

Well, at the bottom I pasted an article that just goes to show, it's the same old same old. Reading this article without having really kept up with the situation in Burma could leave one thinking that things are not so bad or that at least the UN is visiting and keeping communication open with Aun San Suu Kyi. This is so not the case. The situation is bad and after reading article after article about the UN's special envoy, Ibrahim Gambari, visiting there, I have learned he is useless. I find him to be extremely stupid and incompetent. I don't know that you can gather that from reading any one article that he is mentioned in but put them together over time and that is what he looks like to me.

I suggest reading back through the history of Burma's last 20 years or so. If not Burma then read about what happened in Cambodia after the Vietnam war. How sad that to TRULY learn about these places, I had to do it on my own... as they were not (truly) covered in school. After reading about them be thankful for the freedoms you have and know that they can be taken away if we let them. In some way they have been taken away a little simply by the fact that there is a huge lack of education in our schools about the repressed peoples of the world. I fear that one day we will lose so many freedoms simply by so few people having a solid understanding of the existence of repression today. At least we still have the choice to search for information and educate ourselves. If you are reading this post it is because you live in a country that does not block freedom of speech... yet. You were able to read this without the fear of being thrown in prison for it and I was able to write it without that fear. Know how lucky you are to voice your opinion about your political leader of choice, wear a t-shirt or post your support or thought on your facebook without being thrown in a prison. All of which people are sitting in prisons for in Burma today.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?id=3765&sec=3

No comments: